Skip to main content

Australia V South Africa: 2nd T20 International

Once the think tank of Australia sits down on the table after this match, there are three points that would stand out
1) After winning the first T20 International game ever and then proceeding to lose the very next game, comprehensively. From that day on till today, Australia has neither got a stable game plan nor have they got the winning culture that they have in the other two formats
2) As much as they would deny it, the ghosts of that game in Johannesburg still remain and comes back to haunt them from time to time, when they play South Africa. Notably, in throwing away winning causes
3) Shane Watson is central to their fortunes in all the formats of the game. When it comes to Limited overs it is his bowling that stands as a differentiator between the teams

At the toss, White was asked if it was individual efforts that counted in the T20 games or the team effort. His answer was “In this format, individuals can win you the match in a ball or two. When it boils down to tight situations, it is the team effort that counts, whatever that means.” Though it sounded confusing, the words held a lot of value after Theron hit the winning six

It was Theron’s arrival at the crease that heralded big shots. Once Theron got the confidence going, Parnell to joined in the fun as he took apart O’Keefe. Things didn’t seem as easy for the Proteas in the first 14 overs of the game

Tsotsobe started the match in the best possible way for South Africa- by tying down Warner. Warner would have realised that form counts for nothing. He came into this series with two consecutive centuries behind him but failed to get off the mark in both the games. Law of averages as they say

Till Parnell came on to bowl, Australia found it tough to force the ball of the square and their run-rate was a pathetic 3.4 runs/over at the end of the fifth over. It was Shaun Marsh that started to get things moving as he flicked one to the fine-leg boundary and cut one over covers for a six. He found the going tough against Botha as he was not given the room to go inside out and the pace did not allow him to adjust late. He compensated for that by feasting on Parnell again as he drove one past covers and then played a beautiful lofted drive

That aggression was not to be sustained as Marsh was dismissed by the returning Theron. Once Hussey was dismissed, the initial gameplan of Australia to keep the wickets for the end and attack towards the end also failed. With the dismissals of Smith and White, it seemed that Australia would be atleast 80 runs short of the par 200 suggested by the curator

T20 is a game of momentum and debutant Mitchell Marsh ensured that it was in Australia’s hands going into the break. The way he dealt with Parnell and Morkel was refreshing. He picked their lengths early and was in position for every shot that he hit. The 35 runs of these final two overs could have made a lot of difference in the final analysis

Theron and Parnell ensured that going into the final overs they would eclipse the hard hitting efforts of Marsh. It was an error of judgement by White that he did not have either Bollinger or Pattinson to bowl one of the final four overs. That two overs were to be bowled by either of the two spinners or Marsh made the task easier for the pair

Once they attacked O’Keefe, the shoulders started to droop which was evident in Cummins bowling the wides in the penultimate over and the frenetic field changes by White. It was here that Watson’s absence was felt the most. With him in the team, it was him who would have bowled at the death

South Africa have headaches of their own as in the absence of Kallis and de Villiers, the middle order is virtually non existent. Though Tsotsobe showed the way to bowl on the pitch, Parnell could not quite grasp it as he went wide or short most of the time. Morkel had a good time on the field till the final over when he was taken to the task by Mitchell Marsh

In the absence of Watson, Theron finally found his groove and got back to his parsimonious ways at the death. Even Amla erred in sending Botha up the order. Though Botha and Miller seemed to have the chase in control, they both fell to ambitious strokes at crucial junctures of the match. If not for the partnership between Parnell and Theron, it would be them having all the round table meetings heading into the ODI series

Though Australia seemed to have unearthed a couple of individual talents in the series, they have quite some way to cover in becoming a force at T20

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enthiran

There was a time , when I was a Chiranjeevi fan, to an extent that I even defended his flop movies such as Rickshavodu, Big Boss and others of the same ilk. For me he was was the ultimate star- the superstar. And hearing tales of Amitabh Bachchan from my father did nothing to alter my views on Chiranjeevi's superstardom Towards the end of my graduation, that is circa 2005 in April, two movies released- Mumbai Express and Chandramukhi. I went to Mumbai Express for the first day first show and was not impressed. Rajnikanth, coming off a colossal flop called  Baba  and Chandramukhi was touted to be his comeback vehicle. Since we had nothing to do, we dragged ourselves to Chandramukhi and I was impressed with the fact that as a superstar, he allowed the female protagonist to run away with the credit Well when Sivaji released, I got to see Rajni mania first hand and what a sight it was! I was in Bangalore and there was a serpentine queue to procure the tickets. The sheer magnitude

Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol

BREAKING NEWS: Allu Arjun and Ravi Teja from Telugu movies make a fleeting appearance in Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Doesn't matter that they appear in a TV footage in the movie From the time it was announced that Anil Kapoor would be a part of the Mission Impossible franchise, it was marked as an awaited movie in India. It was widely anticipated that he would play a major role in the movie. Though he serves as a major connecting link in the movie or rather the main reason, why the movie moves to India, he is projected as a lusting billionaire One of the very good things about the movie is its humour content. There are a lot of subtle one-liners by the guy who operates the computer and is the technical guru in the movie. The movie is about an evil mind getting his hand on nuclear warhead and the mission is to stop a full blown war between USA and Russia There are a lot of things that are interlinked in the movie. For example, at the beginning of the mission when it’s sa

Jab Harry met Sejal

I am writing this after Shahrukh Khan came out of the box-office rut with a movie called “Pathaan”. I am writing this about a movie that contributed to the box-office rut; Jab Harry met Sejal.   What can you say about the movie that’s unsaid? It’s an Imtiaz Ali movie. It will showcase travel. It will have the protagonists mouthing philosophical dialogues about love, life and relationships. It will have the protagonists “finding themselves” during the journey.   Shahrukh Khan and Anushka Sharma put in earnest efforts in the movie, but the movie lets them down. While I was watching the movie, the person next to me (who wasn’t even watching) asked if Anushka Sharma was playing a Gujarati in the movie. That in my eyes is Anushka Sharma nailing her bit.   The problem with the movie isn’t the premise but how the director deviates from the premise often. While it may be deliberate, it does seem that the director wants to leave his “signature”. At times, the movie does seem like